The average bulb grower in Holland sells almost $200,000 worth of bulbs every year, most to cut flower growers who use the bulbs for growing flowers, then toss them out and buy new ones the next year. The Dutch bulb growers have found flower bulbs are one of the most profitable plants.
- Grade your bulbs by size, and package in clear plastic ventilated bags, as pre-packaged bulbs will sell faster. Label each bag with price, color and variety.
- Sell 12 large were 18 medium for the same price.
- Have an instruction sheet for each customer on how to grow great flowers. A satisfied customer will come back next year… And the next.
- Offer packages of bulbs that grow and bloom in sequence all spring and summer.
- Give your customers an extra bulb with each dozen. Nothing pleases a customer more than getting something for nothing!
- Sell forced- bulb plants early in the spring through local florists, grocery stores and garden centers.
- Sell your smaller bulbs by the pound to local gardeners who enjoy growing their own bulbs.
- If you decide to specialize in unique varieties, consider mail-order. Try a small classified ad in a national or regional gardening magazine.